The Commonwealth Secretariat is hosting a meeting aimed at Identifying opportunities for strengthening Health protection policy within Health Systems for Universal Health Coverage. This will build on wider work on the agenda over the past year and follows the recent Commonwealth Health Ministers meeting in May 2016 on Health security and Universal Health Coverage. In addition, this meeting will contribute to next year’s agenda for Ministers on the theme of “Sustainable Financing of Universal Health Coverage (UHC) as an Essential Component for Global Security Including the Reduction of All Forms of Violence”.
The meeting, on the 18th of August, will explore options for extending country capacity for example through the application of the Health Protection policy toolkit which has been trialled initially in Sierra Leone as part of the post Ebola response. The meeting will consider next steps of this approach with other countries to address a wider range of challenges including climate change, AMR, Malaria and Zika.
Objectives of the meeting:
– Exploring the implications and contributions to wider global security for next year’s ministerial meeting
– Coordination and collaboration for capacity building on health protection and health system strengthening with countries
– Identifying actions to strengthen public health within health systems frameworks
– Identifying additional supportive tools required
– Identify next steps and develop a plan of action with partners
Further details of the outcome of the meeting will be made available on the health hub in due course.